Pages

Tuesday, October 19, 2010

I'm Weird!

I'm sure many of you who have known me a while already knew that I am a little weird. But lately I have really started to notice that some of the things I do make me weird to a lot of people. Something about my weirdness even makes people give interesting comments. For instance, my wife and I made the decision to remove our TV from our daily living. That's right, we put our TV in a garbage bag and are storing it in our basement. We did this a few years back. It is amazing how much better our evenings are without it. We spend more time as a family doing activities like reading, games, playing, etc. And guess what...that makes us weird. I mean who would want less TV time and more family time? Crazy people! Even yesterday I had someone make several comments about us not having a TV after it came up in conversation. Another area of weirdness for us is that we are homeschooling. The kicker is that I am a public school teacher. People think we have lost our minds wanting to make sure that the principles and morals that we believe in are taught to our children everyday. Some people (even family) will tell us we are incapable of teaching our kids properly! Really? I want to ask them, "Were you born an expert education?" Parents are very capable of teaching their own children. Most do it at least until the age of 5. This has been a long enough rant for today. I hope I didn't turn any of my four readers off. I just wanted to make the point that it is okay to be "weird" if it is best for your family and is in line with your principles and morals. Have a blessed day!

4 comments:

  1. Anytime I may forget how weird you are, I just have to watch you and Andy together for a few minutes :)

    While I respect that every parent has his/her own opinion about the best (aka "right") way to do things, I have become so tired of the looks and comments when my way doesn't happen match up with their way. I know I've been guilty of this, myself, but I'm trying very hard to work on it because I HATE being on the receiving end of the judgement. Just as there are no two children alike, there are no two parents alike either. And, I say, thank goodness for that!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the post, Kami. When I read your comment about Andy and me I laughed out loud. You are correct with that one. I like your thoughts on judging others. I agree with you that it can be tough to not put our values/views on others. Thanks for the great reminder.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sorry - I wasn't trying to serve you with a reminder. I was commiserating with you on feeling "weird" about certain aspects of my life, but now that I re-read it, I'm not sure it came across that way!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I understood that you were commiserating. Sorry I didn't make that known. I just found it a good reminder also. Thanks again for the comments.

    ReplyDelete