Pages

Thursday, October 21, 2010

Security

In the book I was reading from last night I came across a sentence that I felt went along with what is going on today in the United States. Now the passage that it comes from is speaking of when Caleb and Joshua were spying on the Promised Land for Moses. The two of them said that the land that they looked at was wonderful and that Moses and their people would be able to overtake the people living in the land at that time because the Lord was with the people of Israel. The people of Israel didn't believe Caleb and Joshua. They instead felt that it would be better to return to Egypt. As I read the sentence that the author wrote, I could see a connection to our current state. He said, "The people were drunk in a dreamworld of security." Wow! That to me is an interested statement that I find quite true. As I talk to many people on my journey towards leadership, I see a lot of people who think they are secure at their job and/or where they live. Even as the economy has turn downward, people still find a false sense of hope in their corporate jobs. If people are not feeling secure in their situation, many of them feel trapped and hopeless. They don't feel that there is anything thing they can do to change their situation. I too have fallen prey to these thoughts. As Americans, we need to pull our heads out of the sand and make sure that we are securing our own individual futures and know that if we look there are other ways to break free of this thinking. Besides, are we really living if we are collecting a paycheck to pay the bills or are we really living when we take risks and pursue more out of life. I am writing this to challenge myself  to take risks and pursue more out of life. I would ask you to do the same. Pursuing more might not be the easy or conventional way, but the rewards will be much greater (and I don't mean just financially). Have a blessed day!

2 comments:

  1. Quality post. I hope in the future you outline some specifics about what it means to pursue real security.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you! And I will definitely have to try to lay some more specifics out. Not that I believe there is just one way to achieve "real" security, but maybe I can showcase a couple options. Thanks again.

    ReplyDelete