Pages

Thursday, December 9, 2010

Deciding What to Read

I had a discussion with a good friend yesterday about reading and TV watching. I found it to be very interesting that we both were experiencing similar thoughts. He was telling me that since he had started to read more (not "pleasure reads" but rather the Bible and growth and development books), he was finding himself wanting to read even more. Specifically to continue to read in those areas. He had also told me in prior conversations that he really enjoys certain TV programs. Now though, he wasn't having the urge to watch them as much.

I have felt the same way recently. I have began starting my day with reading 4 chapters from the Bible (1 OT, 1 Psalm, 1 Proverb, 1 NT). I read for at least 30-45 minutes every night from a growth and development book. I want to make it clear that I have only started this format to all my reading less than a week ago. With that said, I had been doing a lesser amount of similar reading before that. I am not saying that my way is the best, only that I have already started to see results. I have really started to enjoy both reading times and find myself not interested in as many things that are not extremely important to my families well-being. And the best part, I really don't miss some of the stuff I use to read and watch. I want to challenge you today to try to read more from growth and development books. I would also encourage you (even if you are not a Christian) to read from the Bible daily. While your at it, cut back on the "pleasure reads" and TV. I know you would be shocked at the difference you will see in your daily life. Please share with me your thoughts of why it would or would not work for you. Also, please come back and share how you have seen a difference in your daily life or not. God bless!

2 comments:

  1. Good post. For the most part, I quit reading novels a few years back. Not that novels are wrong, but *for me*, I felt they were frivolous reading. Like you, I begin my day with Bible reading and a little journaling, and try to read history or biography in the evening.

    ReplyDelete