Pages

Wednesday, December 15, 2010

Man Up!

I want to share a verse with you that stuck out to me this morning. I guess you could say that this post is for my male readers (all two of you by the looks of things). I hope this is a source of encouragement and guidance today.

1 Peter 3:7  reads,
Husbands, in the same way be considerate as you live with your wives, and treat them with respect as the weaker partner and as heirs with you of the gracious gift of life, so that nothing will hinder your prayers.
Men, step up and treat your wives with respect and lead them the way that is right. Women want to feel secure. They want to know that we are their to protect and love them. It is our job to lead them in prayer and worship. It is our job to love them and serve them as Christ loves the church. Let's step up, take responsibility, and turn our culture back in the right direction. God bless!

3 comments:

  1. Nate - I'd be curious to hear about your church's (or yours, if they differ from your church's) view on why wives are considered the weaker partner. I was never able to get a good answer about this in the church in which I was raised - I was generally told that it was "just because that's the way things are" or something along those lines. It's always bothered me that I wasn't able to get an answer beyond that, so if you have an explination, I'd love to hear your perspective (and I understand that it might be more complex than can be addressed in the comments - but I'd be happy to read a separate post or an email on the subject!). I hope you are all doing well - perhaps we can arrange a meet-up over break?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kami, that is a great question. Now before I answer I want to make sure we are clear that these are my views and not necessarily a certain church's views. The words "weaker partner" or "weaker vessel" come directly from the Bible (as in the verse above). I do not believe it refers anything but the man's role as a provider and protector. Women are the nurturer and comforter. I do not view women as inferior in any other way. Here is a great little article I found that explains it in a way that I believe will help make sense of it all (www.raptureready.com/faq/faq235.html). Thanks for asking such a great question. I would love to meet up sometime over break. We could then clarify any of this that you still have questions on.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's a very interesting article - thanks for sharing it! I think I was raised in a church that took the "women are inferior" approach, and it never sat well with me. If we do have a chance to get together, I have a New Yorker article on fermentation I've been saving for you and Sarah. If not, I'll send it in the mail. I thought you both might find it interesting. Thanks, again, and Merry Christmas!

    ReplyDelete