Pages

Monday, December 6, 2010

Raising A Family

I started reading a really good book this weekend and cannot put it down. It is called "Family Driven Faith" by Voddie Baucham Jr. (if you click on the link for Westminster Bookstore logo to the right of this article you can purchase the book and it helps me build credit to their bookstore). He has a writing style that is fun and easy to read, but that is not why I like it so much. I really like the content of the book. He writes about putting a strong emphasis back into marriage and family. The book uses Biblical principles to give direction on how to develop our marriage and raise our better lead our family. He shares many statistics about our society and the problems that we are facing. He uses Scripture from the Bible and studies from several sources to support his information.

I am a public school teacher for an inner city school of decent size. I witness first hand the children we are raising. I also witness the dysfunction of the family. What I believe is one of the key missing components to all of this is the lack of absolute truth in our culture. Not just a vague absolute truth, but one based on an the absolute Truth. The absolute Truth that Mr. Baucham says is the best book on parenting out there...the Bible. I think that there are many other factors besides just having a set of absolute truths to follow, but I strongly feel that it is a much needed place to start. I don't think any of us would be opposed to having neighbors who understand it is wrong to steal, to kill, to commit adultery. I also think we would want neighbors who honor their father and mother. This book does a great job of creating the desire to want to lead a family around these Truths.

I highly encourage you to get Mr. Bauchman's book and read it for yourself. If you are still looking for a Christmas gift (or birthday), I would highly recommend it also. It is not just a book for married men with families, but a great resource for young people to prepare themselves for marriage and a family life, as well as for more mature couples to start now so they can impact their children or even grandchildren. It is a very compelling book that will challenge your thinking in terms of parenting and family. God bless!

6 comments:

  1. Great post, Nathan. This is an outstanding book. I second your recommendation.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Nathan
    At what school do you teach?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you, Jeremy! I am glad to have someone agree with my recommendation. Let me ask, what did you find beneficial from the book?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Steve, that you for the comment. I do not feel it is necessary or beneficial to the post to name where I teach specifically. I will tell you it is a school district in southern Lower Michigan.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Steve, that should be thank you for the comment.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Steve, I just realized who you are. LOL! I work for the largest district within 10 minutes of where we went to college. I hope that helps clear it up.

    ReplyDelete