Pages

Tuesday, December 28, 2010

What Am I Doing With My Possessions?

Today I was looking over my scripture reading for church coming up in a couple weeks. I am to read from the second chapter of Ecclesiastes. Some verses that really stuck out to me were Ecclesiastes 2:24-26. They read:
So I decided there is nothing better than to enjoy food and drink and to find satisfaction in work. Then I realized that these pleasures are from the hand of God. For who can eat or enjoy anything apart from him? God gives wisdom, knowledge, and joy to those who please him. But if a sinner becomes wealthy, God takes the wealth away and gives it to those who please him. This, too, is meaningless—like chasing the wind. ~Ecclesiastes 2:24-26
I then went to my new favorite Bible companion, Matthew Henry's Commentary On The Whole Bible, to see what it had to say. This is what he wrote:


The best use which is therefore to be made of the wealth of this world, and that is to use it cheerfully, to take the comfort of it, and do good with it. With this [Solomon] concludes the chapter. There is not true happiness to be found in these things. They are vanity, and, if happiness be expected from them, the disappointment will be vexation of spirit (an angry spirit). But he will put us in a way to make the best of them, and to avoid the inconveniences he had observed. We must neither over-toil ourselves, so as, in pursuit of more, to rob ourselves of the comfort of what we have, nor must we over-hoard for hereafter, nor lose our own enjoyment of what we have to lay it up for those that shall come after us, but serve ourselves out of it first.
Reading from these two sources makes me realize that I do not need to focus on gaining material things but rather focus on what the Lord has provided and how I am using what He has given me for His glory. By doing so, He will continue to bless me. I hope that what I have written makes sense to you. I encourage you to use your possessions well, rather than toil to increase them just to show how much you have. God bless!

3 comments:

  1. I'm glad you got something out of this book. I have spent the past two weeks reading and rereading Ecclesiastes, and frankly, I'm at a loss. The book itself has no order, and it feels like its the personal diary of "the Teacher" that someone stole and published.

    I've been looking for commentary by other people on this book, and so far all I've seen are fragments. what's your take on the book as a whole?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good post, Nate.

    To Anonymous: Imo, Ecclesiastes is a survey of the different things that people look to when looking for purpose in their life. The Teacher has experienced all those things and has found them empty...by themselves. What infuses life, and gives individual lives purpose, is the fear of the Lord, which he brings in at the very end. That key insight unlocks the rest of the book. We'll be reading Ecclesiastes at church along with Philippians, which should be interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous, I have not read the entire book yet. Sorry I cannot answer you from my experience. I do have to say that Jeremy gave a very good explanation. I hope that helped you. Thanks Jeremy for the comment and help.

    ReplyDelete