Pages

Monday, May 23, 2011

Prayers Please!

Yesterday afternoon my parents (who live in Joplin, MO) experienced a horrible tornado that destroyed much of their city. I heard that about 75% of the city was destroyed. One of the two main hospitals was destroyed. The tornado was about a mile wide, so the destruction was great. There were reports that the wind was upwards of 150mph. My parents' house was completely destroyed. Amazingly, they walked away with sore bodies but no major injuries. If you look on the Weather Channel you will be able to see pictures and video of the destruction throughout Joplin.

My dad told me that they shut themselves into a small closet in their hallway (they did not have a basement because under the ground is hard rock). The house collapsed on them. My dad had to dig them out of the rubble. He couldn't see my mom as he removed debris from on top of them. Once they were able to get out, they walked a block away to see all the restaurants and stores completely wiped out. A gentlemen offered to take them to the hospital, where they spent most of the night waiting to be looked over. My dad was able to call at about 12:30am to let me know that they were safe. He then called again at about 4am to let me know that the x-rays came back negative.

Keep the people of Joplin in your thoughts and prayers today! God bless!

6 comments:

  1. Thanks so very much for the update on your parents. We were wondering how we would ever find out how they came out. God truely protected them even though they lost everything. I am so glad they are only shaken & bruised.

    Please please feel free to let us know how we can help them out.

    I just talked with Paul. We have an extra vehicle that we could loan them to get around with. It is an Explorer. If necessary they could even sleep in it if they needed temporarily. We are about 2-2 1/2 hours away.

    ReplyDelete
  2. When you talk to them next, please tell them how much we love them and how much we wish we were there to help. Our hearts are breaking for them, but we know God will transform this into amazing ministry oppotunities. Give them a virtual hug and let them know we'll be talking with Marilyn when we get there on Tuesday. Let us know when you know where they will be staying and how we can help. Sharon and Charlie

    ReplyDelete
  3. Glad to hear they are ok, Nate! My thoughts and prayers are with them, and all the people whose lives have been turned upside down by this... Becky Stuckey

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ted called from work to tell me what happened. I was relieved to come home and see that Bob and Pat are okay. We will keep them in our thoughts and prayers. Please give them our best when you talk to them.

    Ted and Lynda Goodlock

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nate, I'll refer people here to continue to call for more donations. Chuck and I are so relieved to hear your parents made it through. Thank you, God.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for all your thoughts and prayers. We appreciate it all. The Lord is amazing! He has blessed my parents with safety and many people who care about them. Thanks again!

    ReplyDelete