Pages

Tuesday, October 5, 2010

Serving Others

I was reading from Philippians in my Bible today and read two verses that really stuck out to me. In the verses, Paul talked about humbling yourself and having the right spirit when serving people. He also made it clear that we need to look out for the interests of others as much as we do our own. I started to reflect on the word "serving" as I continued my morning routine. What do people consider to be serving? How can one actually serve? How do I serve? Where is my heart when I am serving?

As these thoughts crossed my mind, I felt a strong understanding that serving can happen in a multitude of ways. Quite often I think of serving as a Pastor leading his church, missionaries in foreign lands, working at soup kitchens, building homes for the less fortunate to name a few. What I tend to forget is that we can serve people even in the slightest of ways that can impact their lives and equally our own. One example that I think of is how one of my great friends serves me. Every morning I receive a text message from him with encouraging words. It might sound like a silly little thing, but it gives me an energy knowing that someone cares for me enough to encourage me to be the best I can be that day. Another simple way to serve people is to invite them over for dinner, dessert, or even coffee. My Pastor invites me to lunch on a weekly basis to fellowship. We share a great conversation over the meal and it is the expression of genuine interest in my life (more than the free lunch) that makes his serving so powerful. So I encourage you this day to find a way that you can serve someone else. It doesn't matter if it is in a big or small way, as long as it is done with the right heart. Have a blessed day serving today!

4 comments:

  1. Philippians is a great book. I think the key is chapter 2 and the description of Jesus as leaving everything to become a servant, one who died for others.

    I think serving can be done simply, through many of the ways you suggest. It can also be done more deeply--by truly questioning at times whether one is being selfish or selfless.

    Serving others is a lifelong goal and challenge. Thanks for this reminder.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like your point about questioning whether we are being selfish or selfless in our serving. I often have to ask, "Am I doing this to promote myself or to help the person I am serving?" Thanks for the comment.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Serving often makes me think of Mary and Martha. I don't want to get caught up in the busy-ness of serving that I miss out on the joy of serving -- not the selfish (as Jeremy mentioned), feel-good kind of thing but the honest-to-goodness joy of serving "as unto the Lord." That's when my service becomes worship. And, I agree, the size of the service doesn't matter but the depth does. A smile can build confidence, a hug can save a life, the right word can prevent war. Nathan, your servant heart is visible; it's being seen in your actions ... and words.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks, path4ward (no bias being that she's my mom)! I can only hope that I am seen more as being a selfless servant than a selfish servant. It is sometimes a fine line that I try hard to stay on the selfless side of.

    ReplyDelete