Pages

Thursday, October 7, 2010

Why Are We Busy?

I was listening to an audio CD yesterday and heard a quote by Henry David Thoreau that got me thinking. His quote is, "It is not enough to be busy; so are the ants. The question is: What are you busy about?" Then this morning as I was reading "Redeeming the Time" by Steven Maxwell, he asked a question that I felt went along with the quote from Thoreau. He said, "Are our eyes fastened on our Lord, or are we looking at the waves around us? (This questions refers to Matthew 14:30 where Peter was walking out to Jesus on the water.) Those two questions really started making me think about what I am busy with and what is my focus. Too often I catch my self focused on entertaining myself rather than what is important. Now for me I try to make my faith in Jesus Christ number one. My wife and family number two. My work number three. My entertainment number four. Quite often I reverse these four areas. When I really look at it, I am always figuring out ways to schedule fun things for myself and working to earn money for a certain lifestyle. Then I try to fit family into the remaining time as much as possible, leaving little time for my faith with Jesus. I have really been trying to refocus myself to live my priorities above my obligations. I want to encourage you to make sure that you are really living your priorities in the order they should be in and not wasting time on the unimportant things.

No comments:

Post a Comment