Pages

Friday, January 21, 2011

Don't be such a bosser, Dad!

My children were putting together their wooden Thomas the Train set this morning with their mom. As they were doing so, I was sitting on the couch reading my Bible. Occasionally I would give a suggestion to try to help them with the layout. My son (who is a week away from being 4 years old) said to me, "Don't be such a bosser, Dad!" Wow! To me I was helping solve problems. To them I was being a "bosser."

This interaction showed me that just because I think I may be helping someone with a problem doesn't mean they see it the same way. Too often, especially us men, feel we need to help "fix" a problem. The reality is quite often unless the person asks for it they don't want our advice. Just because we see one resolution to the issue doesn't mean it is the only one or even the best one. So as you go through your day, every time you want to help someone with their problem, make sure they are asking for help before you do so. Remember, "don't be such a bosser." God bless!

No comments:

Post a Comment