Pages

Wednesday, January 19, 2011

Two Are Better Than One

I read from Ecclesiastes 3-4 this past Sunday in church. As I read from my study Bibles and my Matthew Henry Commentary, I learned several things that I hadn't heard before. But there was one section that I had heard that stuck out the most. Especially on Sunday as I looked over the congregation. Solomon wrote of the importance of being there for others. The importance of community. Ecclesiastes 4:9-12 (ESV) reads:
Two are better than one, because they have a good reward for their toil. For if they fall, one will lift up his fellow. But woe to him who is alone when he falls and has not another to lift him up! Again, if two lie together, they keep warm, but how can one keep warm alone? And though a man might prevail against one who is alone, two will withstand him—a threefold cord is not quickly broken.
Too often I find myself relying on my own ability to accomplish a task or to solve a problem. That is the most difficult way to attack any task or problem. The first person we should turn to is God. We need to ask him for help and guidance. Next we need to look to unite with other people to be more efficient in completing our tasks and solving our problems. If we have no one we can turn to for help, how lonely and helpless will we feel. But when we can turn to a family member or a friend for help and they will drop everything to assist us, how meaningful and fulfilling that is!

Think how much we can impact someone's life if we are willing to help others. Not when it is convenient for us, but rather when they need it the most. I encourage you to make a difference in others' lives by being the friend that they need when they need it the most. God bless!

No comments:

Post a Comment