Pages

Wednesday, February 9, 2011

Faith or Doubt?

I read from the book of Numbers this morning for my daily Bible time. As I read the story of the twelve spies returning from scoping out the Promised Land, I really started to relate it to my life. Ten of the twelve spies came back to their people saying that the land that God had promised them was beautiful, but they could not defeat the people of the land. Two of the twelve, Caleb and Joshua, came back saying that is was beautiful and that they could defeat the people of the land. They had faith that the Lord would fulfill His promise to Israel. The people of Israel listened to the ten that were doubtful. Because of their doubt, God left them in the wilderness for 40 years. He left them there until all the doubters had passed away, all but Caleb and Joshua. Because of their faith in the Lord they were able to enter the Promised Land.

As I reflected on the reading, it made me think of my faith. Do I have faith that He is providing and will continue to provide for me, or do I have doubts of His provision for me? I believe all too often I have doubts that creep into my mind and hinder my ability to experience more in life. I have to have absolute faith that God will provide for me and my family when I am pursuing that which He has laid before me. I may experience times when I feel I am stuck in the wilderness, but I have to realize that through total faith I can reach the Promised Land for my life. I encourage you today to put your faith in the Lord. Know that He can help you conquer anything that is in your path towards the place the Lord has set aside for your life. God bless!

2 comments:

  1. Beyond doubting, they were also grumbling *against* the Lord's provision. I took some notes on Numbers 11-16 that I'll share with soon. It's unbelievable how much grumbling went on, and how much of it was against Moses and Aaron (which means it was really against God's leadership). They were in the midst of God's provision but couldn't see it. I also asked myself: How often do I do the same--grumble against God even while he is actively providing for me?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jeremy, thanks for your thoughts. It is amazing how much grumbling took place. I have heard it said to expect a lot of criticism when you are doing the right thing because it is uncomfortable for people to be around. Great point! Thanks again!

    ReplyDelete