Pages

Monday, February 28, 2011

Is It Possible To Love Someone You Hate?

Reading last night, I came across the question I used for my title today. Is it possible to love someone you hate? My simple answer to that is yes. I am not trying to make it sound easy, for I don't believe it to be. But I do believe we can. I want to share with you some scripture that references this very topic. I think it is a great illustration for of why it is important to love the unlovable.
“But I say to you who hear, Love your enemies, do good to those who hate you, bless those who curse you, pray for those who abuse you. To one who strikes you on the cheek, offer the other also, and from one who takes away your cloak do not withhold your tunic either. Give to everyone who begs from you, and from one who takes away your goods do not demand them back. And as you wish that others would do to you, do so to them.
    “If you love those who love you, what benefit is that to you? For even sinners love those who love them.
(Luke 6:27-32 ESV)
 Now, how do we love someone we hate? Why should we love the unlovable? Here is another scripture from the same passage that gives us the answer.
“Judge not, and you will not be judged; condemn not, and you will not be condemned; forgive, and you will be forgiven; give, and it will be given to you. Good measure, pressed down, shaken together, running over, will be put into your lap. For with the measure you use it will be measured back to you.”
(Luke 6:37-38 ESV)
I hope these passages from Luke help you to love someone you hate. I hope that you can see the importance of loving the unlovable. God bless!

1 comment:

  1. Yes. If love is action, as demonstrated by Paul toward his enemies, Jesus' passion, and God's "plan of salvation," then we can "love" those we hate. Biblically, love is not a feeling.

    ReplyDelete