The challenge I want to present to some of you is to simply pick up a book and read. For the rest of you it is to read more. I am challenging myself to read 52 books this year on top of the Bible. Maybe your not ready for a challenge that steep. Maybe for you it is to read 5 books this year, or even just one book. I found some stats that were pretty alarming to me (it also helped me realize why our country might be heading down the path it is currently). I was one of these stats until recently, so don't beat yourself up if you are too.
- 1/3 of high school graduates never read another book for the rest of their lives.
- 42 percent of college graduates never read another book after college.
- 80 percent of U.S. families did not buy or read a book last year.
- 70 percent of U.S. adults have not been in a bookstore in the last five years.
- 57 percent of new books are not read to completion.
- (Source: Jerold Jenkins, www.JenkinsGroupInc.com)